Random Posts

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday 17 October 2014

Assault on father-in-law: Man seeks dissolution of daughter’s 17-year-old marriage

A father-in-law, Alhaji Basiru Ahmed, 67, on Friday prayed an Alakuko Customary Court, Lagos, to dissolve his daughter’s 17-year-old marriage on the ground that his son-in-law assaulted him.
Ahmed, who was in the court with his daughter, Adijat Adisa, said he could no longer stand the humiliation and beating he received from his son-in-law, Najimu Adisa.

“Najimu beat me while I was preventing him from beating my daughter during one of their fighting, I won’t forget that day in a hurry.
“So, I want this court to dissolve the union because my daughter, Adijat, cannot continue with the marriage,” he said.

Adijat, 34, a trader, who lives at 3, Ogo Oluwa St., Agbado Ijaiye, a suburb of Lagos, had told the court that her 17-year-old marriage has been a misery.
“My husband beats me at every argument we had, he derives enjoyment in beating me and he doesn’t provide for me and his children.

“He doesn’t know the school the children are attending, not to talk of paying their school fees, he behaves like an animal when he starts his troubles,” she alleged.
The mother of four, aged between 5 years to 14 years, told the court that she has been living with her father for more than a year since her husband sent her and the children packing.

“I want the court to dissolve the union because I don’t want to die young,” she said.
However, Adisa, 35, a panel beater, denied the allegation of not paying the children’s school fees.
“I pay the children school fees. If not for the love I have for my wife, I would have sent her out of the house when she lost her first pregnancy due to her carelessness.

“My father-in-law is always in support of his daughter any time we have disagreement.
“I am also tired with the marriage, I want the court to dissolve the union,” he said.
The Court President, Chief Awo Awosola, told the couple to maintain the peace and adjourned the case till Nov. 6 for judgment. (NAN)
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment